Why Many People Choose To Spay/Neuter Their Pets
While conflicting opinions on spaying and neutering may exist, there are many benefits to getting your pet spayed or neutered for both the owner and the pet. In fact, neutering or spaying your pet may be the best decision for them if you want them to live a long and healthy life.
Spaying is carried out on female pets. The ovaries and the uterus of the female are removed. Neutering is carried out on male pets. The testicles of the pet are removed. These procedures affect hormone production in your pets and have many positive effects. It is always suggested that you get your pets neutered or spayed at a young age. If you get him or her spayed or neutered at a later age, their habits and unruly behavior may already be ingrained into their personality. Spaying or neutering may not have the expected results if performed on an older pet.
Here are a few reasons why many people choose to spay or neuter their pets:
- Your female pet will live longer. According to the ASPCA, about 50% of female dogs and 90% of female cats suffer from uterine infections and breast cancer, which can be fata. Spaying can help to prevent uterine infections as well as breast cancer, provided that she is spayed before her first heat. The results will be more effective if performed early.
- Neutering has many health benefits. Apart from preventing your male pet from urinating all over your house, neutering also helps to prevent testicular cancer, which is very common in males and can be prevented by neutering.
- A spayed female will not go into heat. A female feline usually goes into heat for 5 to 7 days every 3 weeks. In an effort to attract male cats, she may yowl all day and night and urinate much more frequently. Spaying helps to prevent such unruly behaviours.
- Often times when a male pet is intact, he will do anything to find a mate. Male cats may climb trees and run away, and male dogs may dig under fences to find their way out. Neutering can help keep your pets close to home.
- Aggressive behaviors can also be prevented.
- Neutering or spaying your pet is very cost-effective. You will not have to spend more on trying to take care of a new litter of puppies or kittens.
Every year, because of over population, thousands of cats and dogs are euthanized. Getting your pet spayed or neutered can help prevent stray animals from suffering or being euthanized. To find out more about spaying and neutering, make an appointment with La Habra Animal Hospital & Pet Motel today!